Sunday, May 18, 2008

Second of Fifty Is Not That Bad

I was recently contemplating a move to Boston and one of the enticing factors was the liberal Massachusetts politics. Now, I have more incentive to stay in California. Thanks to the California Supreme Court (not a statement I thought I would be making) same-sex marriage is now legal in California.

A few years ago, I made a pact with myself that I would not get married until it was legal for everyone in the United States. I had come to terms with the fact that this promise may mean that I never tie the knot. I am not picking out a wedding dress or a cake anytime soon. I am not even eyeing a groom, but this step means that same-sex marriage may be U.S. legal institution in my lifetime.

The California Supreme Court decision brings me particular joy because same-sex marriage is an issue that I had hoped would be at the forefront of the democratic campaign come November. Seeing as the unelectable Kucinich was the only democratic candidate actively for the legalization of same-sex marriage, the national election won’t be contending with such extreme liberal issues as marriage equality. Even though opponents are urging a delay in the implementation of this ruling until the November election, at least my native state government saw fit to take a step in the right direction for human rights. I only hope that in 30 years students will learn about the time when the US didn’t allow same-sex marriage with the same detached disbelief that many students feel today when learning about miscegenation laws in the U.S. One can only hope.

No comments: