Monday, May 5, 2008

Expectations

"Anyone who loves in the expectation of being loved in return is waisting their time."
-Paolo Coelho from The Devil and Miss Prym

I really want to know this statement. I want to know it deep in my heart and live its implications, but I can't seem to. I either try to pretend that I have no expectations (which only works as a momentary solution) or I resign myself to waste my time expecting people to invest in me the way that I invest in them.

I can't remember how to find joy in the loving alone. I am sure that I used to know.


2 comments:

Josh Fixler said...

Well put!

Jackson said...

that was one of the best quotes in that book. i'm glad it stood out to you too. i've been trying to remember it since i read it. did i underline it? if i didn't i should have.